<body>
Thursday, February 23, 2012

If you know me, then you know Milan is my favorite place in the whole world. And after seeing two shows...I'm gonna say it, it will be the best fashion week out of all. I'm sure that I will love Paris but, Milan is the one!

It all kicks off with the magnificent Frida Giannini's Gucci. This is another one of my favorite brands due to their consistent strong collections and always so dark and glamorous themes. (You know you are a sucker for dark glamorous fashion when...) This collection is sexy, powerful, and full of twisted romance. And it seems to me that it totally showcases how rich you are once you wear a piece from this collection. Indeed, everything from the runway is transcended from "19th century decadents" in mind. All the extremely rich velvet, floral lace, and crystals embedded in a dark palette are further enhanced by models' flow-y hair and dark lips. Once again, it's important that a collection has a central theme but doesn't fall flat and boring, while keeping the brands' traditions. This Gucci collection has it all.



Let's take another moment to appreciate the beautiful and most definitely talented designer Ms Giannini (with Gucci CEO boyfriend).



Next up, equally dark but less "powerful" Alberta Ferreti collection. The focus here seems to be an embrace of masculinity and femininity. The details are also amazing here. This was the second collection I saw and I was so glad that Milan heads to direction with dark palettes for fall/winter in mind. Sheerness, fuzziness, and velvet materials are once again key features in another collection! Yikes!

 


Karl Lagerfeld's Fendi is like the ignored child of Karl. While everyone hovers over Chanel, a lot of people don't really like Fendi or don't pay attention to it. To me, it always has a feeling of "artist" dressing. And it is especially true for this collection which is filled with blocks of colors that are not overpowering, but just enough to get a sense of fall/winter. 



And the most beautiful of all in this collection is its details. The color-blocking shoes and handbags all remind me of Piet Mondrian's paintings Composition X. I pretty much wanna have ALL of them. Let's take a look:



MaxMara features some sailor hats and stripes in addition to his usual outerwear focus. A good combination of style and warmth, non? Loving the simplicity as well (as usual). When I have money, it is these simplicity-focused brands that I will approach first.





Talking about simplicity....ever since its launch in the fall of 2010 (a s/s 2011 collection), T by Alexander Wang has become an affordable casual luxury that can be paired with anything and everything. While I do miss the brand's previous excellent layering of hoodies, sweaters, jersey dresses and skirts, I have come to embrace the shorter and nicely tailored turtleneck sweaters and jackets. Oh, and also notice that this presentation happened in NY during Milan Fashion Week...




And that will be all for today. Tomorrow: Prada (oh I just saw the show!) and more.

*Runway shots from Style.com

Labels:



« older | newer »