<body>
Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I really miss some of the greatest movies that I've seen. I'm quite determined to watch them again this summer (almost there!).


You have probably guessed Pulp Fiction (1994) because I'm a huge fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies. And I think so far, Pulp Fiction is his signature work, featuring nonlinear storyline, an ensemble cast, mix of humor and violence, and pop culture references. Every actor was amazing in it - Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Samuel Jackson, Bruce Willis, Tim Roth, among many others. If you haven't seen any Tarantino movies, I think this is the one that I would recommend you to watch. It's very different from most major films.


Few films I saw when I was little are very memorable to me. However, Leon: The Professional (1994) was the one that stood out the most (with Finding Nemo!). It features Jean Leno, a brilliant young Natalie Portman (this is like my favorite movie of hers), and Gary Oldman as a super-bad bad guy. The relationship between Leon and Mathilda is just amazing. I've seen it a couple of times but I just wanna watch it again!!!


The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather: Part II (1974) are the epitome of crime movies. I'm pretty sure this is a widely agreed fact. The complicated relationship among (crime) families, the leadership of the head of the family, and the acting itself are all very important for a successful crime film. I honestly can't waste more of my boring words on this. But this is a must see.


The Shawshank Redemption (1994) is many people's "best movie of all time". It was the first movie I saw in the United States because my dad had a DVD. Morgan Freeman pretty much owns every movie he's in..right? I only saw this once, and definitely need to revisit.


Schindler's List (1993) is about a German business man (Liam Neeson...way before he's like, " I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you") helping out lots of Jews during the Holocaust by employing them in his factory, thus preventing them from being sent to their death. It was definitely one of those movies that I will never forget. It shows the complicated personality of Oskar Schindler (he's definitely not a completely good man I'd say) and makes you tear up at the end. It was amazing.


Another Holocaust movie that I love is The Pianist (2002). It shows the horror of Holocaust and at the same time (the second half of the movie), how a German officer hides the Jewish musician (Adrien Brody) after hearing him play. It was also very memorable and I really want to show this to family (after finding out the Schindler's List, my ex-first choice, turned out to have lots of awkward sex scenes that I forgot about...).


I am a huge fan of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Keira Knightley, and this is a perfect combination (2005). I think it has one of Keira's finest acting (Atonement...it was hard to watch because it was too sad). This movie may not be flawless (because how can a 2 hour movie depict the complicated relationship between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy?!), but it is my favorite romance movie of all time (I love The Notebook too). There's also great chemistry between the two leads. And yes, I tear up a bunch in this. :P


Corpse Bride (2005) is one of my favorite animated movies. And I thought, I had to have one Tim Burton/Helena Bonham Carter/Johnny Depp movie. But I couldn't decide between Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007). There's so much chemistry (and weirdness) between HBC and Johnny Depp. These also happen to be musicals. I rarely like musicals. But these (and Chicago) are among my favorite movies.


Exams are still going on...so here's some chill music by Norah Jones:

Labels: ,



« older | newer »